OS Grid ref:- SD 338924
The village of Satterthwaite occupies a clearing in the Grizedale Forest, surrounded by thickly wooded hills it lies sandwiched between Lake Windermere and Coniston Water. The name means clearing of the saeter (summer farm). Legend has it that the first people to settle in the valley were Vikings, lead by one Rolf, who sailed into Rusland Pool. In the Medieval period the area was owned by Furness Abbey
Satterthwaite and All Saints Church
The village church of All Saints records the quaint story written by local schoolchildren to decorate the church. The church is of unknown origin, but was known to be in existence in 1577. It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1835 in the Early English style, the church was again rebuilt in 1914, at which time the present square tower was added. A medieval chest stands in the porch of the church, reputed to be a relic from the earliest church in Satterthwaite.